Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  April 14, 2011 10:00pm-12:00am EDT

10:00 pm
depth of commitment. >> i think you're going a great job and i hope it's a very successful campaign. it deserves to be. it's well thought out and i think it will resonate with people. >> thank you so much. >> that is all. here's my colleague, anderson cooper with "ac 360." >> piers, thank you very much. good evening, everyone. sometime between now and tomorrow, president obama is expected to sign the bill congress passed today which will keep the government funded through this year. by signing it, he'll avert a government shutdown. when the deal was struck last friday, it was announced there would be $38 billion in spending cut there is year. keeping them honest, however, turns out the numbers don't add up. that realization has angered many in the tea party and republicans on capitol hill. but lawmakers had enough and passed the bill in tend. >> i just want this bill over with. >> i'm with you. let's get it over. >> and they did. but with 1 in 3 freshman
10:01 pm
republicans voting no. the measure passing in the senate. a report the bill, which claims to cut $38.5 billion from the 2011 budget would only cut $350 million in actual spend thing year, which is largely due to the way the budget process works. money that lawmakers authorized spending and what they ultimately spend are two different things. allowing for that, this was a package both sides praised because they promise to contain real cuts and house speaker john boehner set the bar real high. >> we're talking about real spending cuts here, not smoking mirrors. >> some of the math is kind of fuzzy. here's what some of what we uncovered. $350 million is supposed by being saved on dairy farmers. but they get the savings by not renews a program that was expiring anyhow. they claim $650 million of
10:02 pm
so-called savings on highway programs but they use the same trick by not renews a one-time expenditure. we've learned that the money likely couldn't have been spent in any case. and even if you calculate how much will be saved over time, not just cut this year, still doesn't add up to $38 .5 billion, more like $18 to $20 billion. joining me now, dana bash and david gergen, and fareed zakaria. he has an op-ed entitled "obama's deficit speech reveals his core beliefs. this report spooked a lot of republican members of the house, didn't it? >> reporter: that's an understate. starting last night when reports began to leak out and this morning when it was out there, house republican leaders really tried to go into damage control mode because they were hearing from their rank and file about
10:03 pm
confusion and concern. look, this is already after the fact that they were hearing about some of this fuzzy math that you reported on. and on top of the fact as well, that many of these republicans didn't like the fact that the overall spending cuts were not higher than they were. so they held briefings. they had fact sheets going out. the speaker went to the floor of the house, which you rarely see, with charts and figures trying to explain from his perspective, these are real cuts. in the end, talking to several members of the rank and file on the republican side, they said this did spook them and perhaps push them over to edge to the no vote today. >> what does this mean moving forward for speaker boehner? i mean, he lost a quarter of republicans on this. >> they lost the american people over this whole deal any way. 2/3 of the american people thought the whole process was ridiculous. that number is going to go up as a result of this fuzzy math.
10:04 pm
i do think it illustrated, as speaker boehner has a hard time holding his caucus together, it underscores that. it shows he lost approximately a quarter of his caucus, a third of the freshman as you said on this vote, which means he does not have that kind of power behind him. but there is a double edge sword in this sense, as a negotiator, he can play good cop/bad cop. he can always say, if you don't work with me on this, i got those bad cops back there in the closet and they're going to come out here with clubs and they're going to destroy this deal. it gives them a little more leverage and gives him something extra. it's always good in a negotiation to have -- if there's a crazy element in your party, it can help. >> fareed, tomorrow is the vote on the paul ryan budget. you say it's a test for president obama and his budget. >> i think president obama has passed the test, the danger was what the democrats would do is take a serious republican proposal and demagogue it and
10:05 pm
just talk about how this is going to be terrible for the country, and obama, in his speech, was tough on the ryan budget, but he began by saying look, this is a serious plan. it addresses issues that we have to address. i agree with the goals. but here's how i would achieve them. and by the way, i'm open to negotiation. that kind of framing it in those terms meant that what obama was able to do, he was able to make a powerful, passionate defense of his view of american government, his view of america and his view of the budget but say look, it's a democracy and he said i'm not going to get your way, you're not going to get your way, let's negotiate. >> david, we've been talking about president obama and his leadership style and all this. paul ryan comes out with his budget, putting a flagpole on the right of where they stand. you had the -- president obama's bipartisan commission, which put out their plan earlier, which was sort of a middle ground. and yesterday president obama kind of planting a stake
10:06 pm
somewhat left of center, are now all sides here, are all the positions known and now the deal making goes forward? >> no, i don't think so at all. i do agree that he planted a flag firmly on the left of center position. i think he stated his values very well. i think as a political matter, he played it masterfully in terms of setting up the 2012 campaign. but as a negotiating document, as a basis for reaching a compromise, i respectfully disagree with fareed. we've had a variety of reports, dana can speak to this, how angry the republicans were about finding it as partisan as they did. paul ryan was invited to sit on the front row and he felt insulted to a degree by what was put out there. so i think it's going to get very tough now, anderson, and the fact that congress is going home for two weeks in the face of this looming deadline on the budget -- on the debt ceiling, is just bizarre to me.
10:07 pm
they ought to be working night and day to make sure we don't go over the debt limit. >> republicans are upset over this, partly because they think it was a very effective political response. that the president who framed the issue in a way that makes it difficult for them to deal with. americans love medicare and they think the best way to reduce the deficit is raise taxes on the rich. clearly obama framing the issue in those ways helps him. but i only disagree with david in the sense that obama did keep saying look, this is how i feel. i respect you guys, you have a different view. let's sit down and negotiate. he invoked many of the paul ryan ideas. for example, getting rid of tax deductions and loopholes, making the tax rates more competitive. so if people are serious, there's room to work here. if we want to turn this into a
10:08 pm
theological debate, you can. but it's all about money. you can split the difference anywhere on money. >> dana, how nasty is this debate now going to get? we thought it was bad last week, what happens now? >> reporter: what happens now is a vote tomorrow on the paul ryan budget in the house and the split that we saw today in the republican party and the house, we're not going to see that i don't think as much tomorrow. we're not going to see the bipartisan vote we saw today tomorrow. today, 81 democrats voted nor this compromise. we're not going to see anything near that tomorrow. the bottom line is that as much as this is going to be a republican vote tomorrow, i can already tell you that democrats, who are running against republicans, they already have the scripts written for any of these republicans who are in tough districts, and many are in tough districts because they beat democrats across the country two had been there for a long time.
10:09 pm
scripts against them saying you voted against them to dismantle health care. that just leads to this discussion. i know there are a lot of important discussions going on about how you get to a middle ground, but you cannot take politics out of the equation, because politics is what this is all about. >> david, does having that political argument really solve the nation's deficit problem, the budget problem? does demagoguing them on medicare, it works politically, but does it work for getting stuff done? >> it doesn't -- i think because the politics of the 2012 were so ever present in all this, i think it's chances that we will not get entitlement reform and we won't get a serious reform of taxes until after the 2012 election. to me the question is, are we going to find ways to extend the debt ceiling and get a budget for 2012? are there more modest compromises that can be made,
10:10 pm
the kind fareed is talking about? can you find some middle ground? there's such a wide gulf on taxes and medicare, anderson, i don't see that being resolved before the 2012 election. >> do you agree with that? >> i wonder. i agree with what david is saying in principle, except for this. on taxes, in the republican party continues to take an absolutely theological position that you simply cannot have any tax increases, and if we mean no elimination of loopholes and deductions, the math doesn't work. we're taking in 18% of gdp at taxation and spending 23%. you've got to close that gap. do we ing it all through budgets is impossible. >> dana? >> there is a small group, fareed, small, of republicans who aren't saying absolutely no tax increases. they are taying maybe getting rid of some of those loopholes
10:11 pm
are possible. those are the republicans working quietly, and have been for months, with other democratic senators trying to come up with a middle ground. unleer if they eastern going to make progress to come one a bipartisan plan. >> dana, david, fareed, thank you very much. let us know what you think on facebook and twitter. up next, new allegations today that the head of wall street's richest investment bank ran his firm like a crooked casino. we'll late it out for you. over the break, trying to guess how many top wall street executives have gone to jail since the collapse. also tonight, moammar gadhafi making a new appearance in tripoli, kind of a bizarre one. fist pumping, strange appearance, causing a big stir. we'll show you more of the bizarre video and what president obama, the french president and also british prime minister are saying now about libya. plus, catherine zeta jones, hear mission, she's being treated for bipolar disorder and
10:12 pm
raising awareness. we'll talk to dr. sanjay gupta about what bipolar disorder really meaning. >> i think it's still so stigmatized that despite the fact it's so disruptive, people do not seek treatment, which is incredibly sad. color color...don't go away. [ female announcer ] new aveeno living color hair care. the first active naturals formulas with lupine botanicals help protect color from fading for up to 40 washes. now color stays vibrant... everyday. [ female announcer ] visit aveeno.com for a free sample of new living color. there's another way to minimize litter box odor: purina tidy cats. tidy cats premium line of litters now works harder
10:13 pm
to help neutralize odors in multiple-cat homes. and our improved formula also helps eliminate dust. so it's easier than ever to keep your house smelling just the way you want it. purina tidy cats. keep your home smelling like home. [ male announcer ] in the event of a collision, the smartest thing you could do is cut the fuel supply... ♪ ...unlock the doors, and turn on the hazard lights. or better yet, get a car that automatically does it for you. ♪ ♪
10:14 pm
10:15 pm
2 1/2 years since wall street brought the economy to death's door and guess how many wall street executives have gone to jail. any guesses? the answer is none. none have even been charged with a crime. yet some of what these banks did caused millions of people their homes and millions more their jobs. now a leading u.s. senator is taking aim at this guy, ceo of goldman sachs, who said he was "doing god's work." michigan democrat carl leaven said he and other executives who testified before his senate subcommittee lied and should be referred to the justice department for possible criminal prosecution.
10:16 pm
the allegations are contained in the 639-page report on the larger crisis in goldman's role in it. according to the report, investigators found evidence that goldman's sales people were peddling securities to clients based on shaky mortgages, mortgages they knew were shaky. at the same time traders were betting those securities would blow up. last april, senator levin asked the mortgage head about one called timber wolf. take a look. >> june 22 is the date of this e-mail. "boy, that timber wolf was one [ bleep ] deal." how much of that [ bleep ] deal did you sell to your clients after june 22, 2007? >> mr. chairman, i don't know the answer to that, but the price would have reflected levels that they wanted to invest -- >> oh, of course. but you didn't tell them you thought it was a [ bleep ] deal. >> i didn't say that. >> no? who did?
10:17 pm
your people, internally. you knew it was a [ bleep ] deal. that's what your e-mail shows. >> i think the context, the message i took from the e-mail from mr. montag was that my performance on that deal wasn't good, and i think the fact that we had lost money related to that wasn't good. >> how about the fact that you sold hundreds of millions of that deal after your people knew it was a [ bleep ] deal, does that bother you at all? >> now goldman maintains it gave truthful testimony and it was not betting against clients. "we did not have a massive net short position because our short positions were largely offset by our long positions and our financial results clearly demonstrate this point." they say that the people selling the crappy investments, shall we say, were betting and winning while most americans were winning. profits in 2008 were $2.3
10:18 pm
billion. $13 billion a year later. and since 2007, lloyd blankfein has pulled in $200 million in bonuses. do you believe they broke the law and lied? >> yes, i do. people are going to say how can you say that? i've read the report and goldman sachs has zero credibility. they have scammed the american public. they made a high level decision in 2006 that this entire market was going to collapse. they bet against it. >> they saw the market was going to collapse. >> that's right. two critical things. one, they then bet against it. meanwhile, telling their clients keep buying it. and even worse, after years of
10:19 pm
having the financial services sector say trust us, they did not pick up the phone, did not go to a regulator and say this is out of control, we better stop. they said we can make money and pounded forward. it is an outrage and i think the american public should say enough. >> is there a smoking gun in this? is there clear evidence of a crime? >> i think so. i think the only reason that this is even controversial, that we're even asking the question should they be in jail is because this is a financial services industry and this stuff is complicated. if this was any other industry, if this was a car dealership, for instance, basically what happened was imagine you're a ford dealership and you get a whole inventory full of broncos that have defective brakes and you decide not only to sell them, but to give bonuses to your sales people to sell these defective products and then you take out life insurance policies on the drivers of the cars that you sold. that's exactly what happened
10:20 pm
here in a nutshell. they had these terrible mortgaged backed deals they knew they were going to blow up and they unloaded it on their clients while they bet against them. >> anderson, there are documents that came from the company that did due diligence on the underlying mortgages, that the banks had -- many of the banks had this that said these mortgages are no good. they will not satisfy even your own standards for issuing mortgages. these are the mortgages they wrapped up into the securities, sold them off saying buy this stuff and bet against it. >> weren't all these mortgages being looked at by the people regulating these industries and the folks who were supposedly giving bond ratings and they got good ratings? >> to say that there was negligence and abuses throughout the system is in no way to -- >> can't they point to that and say -- >> no, because they gave the information and all were
10:21 pm
culpable, and they all blew it in the most fundamental way. when i was a.g. in 2002 and 2003, i went after these companies for lying about the quality of their stocks. they said, we get it, we learned. they did it year after year because they saw a penny they could pick up. >> 2 1/2 years after this, no one has gone to jail or prosecuted. >> they've sure gone after barry bonds and roger clemens. the entire history demonstrates that the justice department has any appetite taking any of these cases against wall street executives. >> the failure of regulators is extraordinary. you documented this in "rolling stone." >> sure. the regulators were asleep at the wheel and in some cases they were tremendously understaffed and didn't have the resources or the where with all to take on
10:22 pm
these jobs. aig was the regulator of thrift supervision, and they had one insurance expert on their entire staff. >> we went after aig. got them to get the biggest settlement in history. their accounting was a scam, top to bottom. i was called and told back off by the u.s. attorney in the southern district, we'll take care of it. they never did. tim geithner apparently reported in today's "new york times" saying don't bring cases, it will unsettle the markets, and they let them go. >> to actually bring a criminal case, don't you have to prove intent? >> absolutely. >> can you prove intent on goldman sacks? >> it gets harder to prove this, this is where the complexity and structure of an organization creating insulation, because proving the intent to deceive is
10:23 pm
a problem. but the civil charges are screaming out to be brought based on the documents out there. and the fact it hasn't been done yet is staggering. >> do you think politicians are scared of going against goldman sacks? >> absolutely. it was the number one private campaign contribute for to barack obama's election campaign. it's one of the single biggest campaign contributors to both parties in congress. so it's a rare event when, you know, an established politician like carl leaven decides to open up a shooting war. the consequences for these politicians are so severe, and that's one of the reasons they've lasted so long. >> anderson, before i went after merrill lynch, i was told by their lawyer, this is a direct quote, be careful, we have powerful friends. >> do you think the justice department will prosecute? >> if they don't, shame on them. if they don't, the attorney general should resign. >> really? >> yes.
10:24 pm
it is so outrageous to me, the deeper we big and more fundamental the violations we see that these banks hiding behind the pettina, that they would take care of the public, time and time scammed and deceived and our tax dollars are paying those grotesque bonuses. >> i remember there was an article you wrote, matt, and it was somebody saying that basically if one of these guys was sent to prison, that would stop the shenanigans from happening again, if somebody was held accountable, it would have a cooling effect. >> absolutely. i talked to a guy that was a former fcc investigator and he said if you start sending lloyd blankfein or one of those guys in a prison for six months, this would be over very quickly. but the problem is, there's no incentive for these guys to
10:25 pm
change their behaviors. not only do they got get punished, they get a bailout. >> is the regulation better now, is the oversight better? >> dodd frank made some improvements, but all you need is common law fraud on the books or prosecutor that wants to go after them will do it. >> thanks. up next, three world leaders, including president obama, pointing their pens at moammar gadhafi. it's an interesting development and it's kind of a new development in libya. we'll tell you about it ahead. and gadhafi was driving through a crowd of supporters in tripoli, doing a double fist pump. >> does it frustrate you that you still see him triumphant? >> no, because i know what's
10:26 pm
coming. i'm sure. we trust in god and we trust in our belief. i know what's coming. >> do you think he knows what's coming? >> very sure, i'm very sure. it's pain relief without the pills. no pills, no pain. how can you get pain relief without taking pills around the clock? try thermacare heatwraps, for all day relief without pills. i was surprised, thermacare worked all day. you feel the heat. and it relaxes and unlocks the muscle. you've got to try it. [ man ] thermacare, more effective for back pain than the maximum dose of acetaminophen, the medicine in tylenol. go to thermacare.com today for a $3 off coupon. thermacare. no pills. no pain. just relief. >> announcer: this past year alone there's been a 67% spike in companies embracing the cloud-- big clouds, small ones, public, private,
10:27 pm
even hybrid. your data and apps must move easily and securely to reach many clouds, not just one. that's why the network that connects, protects, and lets your data move fearlessly through the clouds means more than ever.
10:28 pm
stamps.com is the best. i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore.
10:29 pm
braeging news tonight on libya. an extraordinary gesture,
10:30 pm
president obama has joined with the british prime minister and french president in writing a joint op-ed piece that will appear tomorrow in major enter national newspapers under the headline "libya's pathway to peace." they write they're looking to a future without moammar gadhafi, that it's unthinkable that someone who has tried to massacre his own people can play a part in the government. they write "as long as gadhafi is in power, nato must maintain its operations so that civilians remain protected and the pressure on the regime builds. gadhafi must go and go for good." and libyan state tv aired this video of gadhafi, greeting a crowd of supporters in tripoli. forces loyal to gadhafi launched another assault on misurata. according to a local doctor, at least 23 people were killed. more than 100 injured.
10:31 pm
tonight, libyan state tv aired video of gadhafi's daughter speaking to a rally of supporters praising her father's importance to libya. >> translator: gadhafi isn't in libya. he is in the hearts of the libyans. my father once said that if the libyan nation doesn't want me, then i don't deserve to live. the libyans answered him in a united voice. those who don't want you, don't deserve to live." >> ben wedeman joins us from benghazi and bill richardson, former u.s. ambassador to the united nations. and back with us is fareed zakaria. governor richardson, if the crux of this op-ed by the allied leaders, it seems that the crux of it is that gadhafi must go, then why not just recalibrate the mission or are they trying to recalibrate the mission?
10:32 pm
the mission is supposed to be to protect civilians. in this op-ed, they're saying you can't protect civilian it is gadhafi remains in power. >> i do believe it's a little bit of a policy shift in the right direction. it's basically saying number one, gadhafi must go. number two is a signal that nato is going to intensify its military strikes or its military participation. i think it's also -- it's kind of a rejection of the african presidents who had just been in there, calling for a cease-fire, but had left fuzzy whether gadhafi would stay or go. so i think it's a stepping up. it's basically saying it's not regime change, but there can't be a future, there can't be a libyan government with gadhafi still around. so it's i think intensifying the military commitment of nato. these three leaders have put a lot of prestige on the line by doing this op-ed.
10:33 pm
>> previously, those argued if gadhafi withdraws his forces from some of these cities that he's besieging like misurata, he can stay in power. this is saying he can't be in power, civilians cannot be protected if he's in power. >> that's exactly right, anderson. you high lighted the crucial sentence, as long as gadhafi is in power, nato must maintain its operations. i read it slightly differently than bill does, which is i don't know that it's a signal they're going to denintensify the milit operations. they're trying to say look, we have a u.n. mandate for a limited military operation. we're not going to do more than that. they say that. the military operation purpose is not to remove gadhafi by force. but we have as much political pressure as we can bring to bear. we're going to bring to bear to force him out of office. we've got sanctions in place, we're not going to let himself his oil. so it's an effort to see if there's a way to escalate the
10:34 pm
political pressure. i think they do understand if they were to go beyond -- if they escalated militarily, they would lose a lot of countries that would say, wait a minute. so they're playing this game and saying how much non-military presence can we bring to bear? >> ben wedeman, you've been noticing some new equipment and new weaponry that the opposition has. >> reporter: yes, we've seen milan anti-tank weapons, which are made in france but by all -- it appears they're supplied by qatar. we've seen radio equipment and new military boots worn by some of the rebels outside of ajdabiya. but what we haven't seen really is the ability to actually push forward. we saw them trying to launch an offensive to retake brega today. but they got about 15 yards
10:35 pm
before the whole thing fell apart into sort of wild gunfire and rocket fire in almost every direction. so new equipment, yes. new leadership, no. >> wait a minute, you said they tried to launch an offensive and got 15 yards? >> reporter: that's about right. it's not all together clear why, but they just left the area of brega and let rally, about 15 yards, somebody opened fire with a machine gun, heavy machine gun. then we saw rockets being fired in almost every direction. and soon i was told by one of their commanders that they had to postpone the mission, also because there was an eastern libyan army contingent that arrived too late. so they just called the whole thing off. we'll be back tomorrow to see if they resume it. >> governor richardson, do you believe diplomacy can actually work? there was a flurry of activity
10:36 pm
when the foreign minister showed up in london. it doesn't seem like there's any more major cracks in the inner circle. >> well, my view is the more this military operation happens, that the stronger the rebels will get. i do believe that there are those reports of more equipment. i believe they're training more. i've heard reports of the egyptian special forces in there. there is more ammunition coming in. they're getting more unified. their numbers are increasing. and at the same time, i think gadhafi's military, you are seeing more defectors, more i believe loss of morale. >> where do you see that? because what we hear is that the gadhafi army is actually learning they're no longer going around in tanks, they're going in the same kind of vehicles the opposition forces are, they're hiding in civilian populations
10:37 pm
and we hear these reports -- ben just talked about an offensive of the rebels that lasted for 15 yards. these guys are still firing in the air, wasting ammunition, and it's been seven plus weeks. >> well, look, i think we really are trying to get some instant gratification. this is going to take a little time. but i think in the long run, the more this military operation takes place, the more air strikes happen, and i do believe this letter, this op-ed means more nato involvement. the uae is involved. qatar is involved. i think you're going to see the rebels pick up some military offensives in the future. i think you're going to see momentum shift and gadhafi is out cheering himself, his daughter making those speeches. i'm of the view that the end is near. hopefully that will happen. i may be wrong, but that's what i see. >> do you see the end as being
10:38 pm
near? >> i think it's a hope. i don't honestly see the end. i think that given this gap that i've always felt existed between the goal that was set up, which was getting rid of gadhafi and the means that are being used, which is limited military means for a limited humanitarian goal, you know, there is a gap here. >> that's what this essay to me, they're trying to close that gap. >> but it's more a rhetorical closure, because they make very clear they're not going to use military force. >> that's because of the political sensitivity of this coalition that's been hammered together. they don't want to be involved in actual attacks on gadhafi forces. >> and they made it clear they would drop out if that were to happen. so the military imbalance is real. remember, ben described it vividly. you've got to know who this rebel force is. it's a bunch of professionals. some groups of unemployed people. a few defectors from the army. these aren't people trained in
10:39 pm
military means, so of course they're not going to be able to go much more than 15 yards without training. so more important than military strikes is to get some kind of training program in there to help these rebels. >> ben, is there any kind of training that you see? is there some camp where there's an elite squad being trained? >> reporter: well, there is a camp just outside of benghazi where there is minimal training being provided. but i have to underscore it is minimal. part of the problem is, simply the realities of the battleground here. in this part of the country, they're out in the desert, far from their homes, not defending their homes. if you look at misurata, i was reading some of the reports by "the new york times" reporter who just arrive there and he describes how they learned very quickly how to build defenses and anti-tank defenses. something we just haven't seen in this part of the country. this evening i spoke to a source
10:40 pm
here in benghazi who tells me that they are sending lots of sort of advanced weaponry for this theater to misurata and they're actually making progress. so whereas this side of the country we do see vividly the effects of lack of training, lack of leadership. somewhere like misurata where they're really up against a wall, we see them fighting effectively with very limited means. so it may be simply the nature of the battle in the east compared to a place like misurata. >> what they've done in misurata is extraordinary, that they've been able to hold on to parts of the city. ben wedeman, continue to stay safe. governor richson, thank you for your time. coming up, "crime and punishment." search for new clues in the suspected serial killers. police scouring 18 different spots. did they find anything new? plus, catherine zeta jones,
10:41 pm
checking into amential health facility for bipolar, being very public about it. i'll talk to dr. sanjay gupta about what bipolar is, how it's treated and how it manifests in people's lives. >> true bipolar disease, is incredibly disruptive to the individual and the people around them. also tonight, why one country is trying to take time travel off the tv. china's new "tv guide"lines wind up on the "ridicu-list." we'll explain ahead.
10:42 pm
can a trading site help make you a sharper trader? mine can. td ameritrade can. they've got trading specialists i can call for help. and paper trading. free practice trading that helps me hone my technique. complex options. and free tutorials. online or in person. can a trading site really make a difference? if it can't, why are you trading there? number one in online equity trades: td ameritrade. trade commission-free for 30 days, plus get up to $500 when you open an account.
10:43 pm
10:44 pm
10:45 pm
a lot of concern and questions tonight about the news that catherine zeta jones checked into a mental health facility. she is seeking treatment for bipolar two disorder which is a less severe form of bipolar disorder. the rep decided to check into a facility after dealing with the stress of the last year. we wanted to get more information about what exactly bipolar two disorder is and how it can be triggered by traumatic events. for that we went to dr. sanjay gupta. there's still such stigma over mental health issues in this country. for someone as well known as catherine zeta jones to be very frank is remarkable. what exactly is bipolar disorder? >> people refer to it as manic depression. it is a disorder characterized by what is known as mania. manic episodes, and also
10:46 pm
depressive episodes. manic episodes, people are at the highest of highs and depressed episodes, the lowest of lows. these episodes can last over a week at least. and it can be so disruptive not only to the individual but to all the people around them. that's typically what bipolar is characterized by. what is interesting is that we have more insight specifically into what's happening in the brain now, as well. let me show you what is a functional mri of a normal brain. up near the top, that's the area of the brain responsible for judgment, for your ability to filter things, to filter something, to think before you do and act. that's a normal brain. take a look at what a bipolar diagnosed brain, something during a manic episode. you see hardly any activity. think about that, no activity in the frontal lobes means hardly
10:47 pm
any filter. you think of something, you say it and do it. you have nothing putting on the brakes. i just find that extremely fascinating. >> and she has bipolar disorder two, how is that different from what you just explained? >> there's a few different types of bipolar, and these are all characterized now, anderson, by what's known as a clinical diagnosis. sitting down with a doctor, being asked questions. basically, the big difference is instead of having true manic episodes they have hypo manic episodes. they still develop mania, which can be lots of activity, fast talking, little sleep. but not quite to the degree of someone who is in a full manic episode. they can have the severe depression. sometimes the depression is even worse than in someone who has classic bipolar or bipolar one. >> and obviously, she has endured a lot of stress over the
10:48 pm
past year with michael douglas, her husband battling cancer. does stress trigger bipolar disorder? >> i think it can, absolutely. i think trigger is the right word as opposed to cause. i think there's mounting evidence that people probably have a predisposition, some sort of genetic predisposition toward it. we know that children, for example, if they have a parent with bipolar, four to six times more likely to develop it. so some genetic component. the trigger, that's always been the -- something people have been looking for, and stress is a big one. >> and in terms of -- i think she's checked herself into a facility. for a lot of people, this is something that they live with on a day-to-day basis. it doesn't consume their lives to the point where they can't do anything. >> i think true bipolar disease, this classic bipolar is incredibly disruptive to the individual and to the people around them. i think you know what it is,
10:49 pm
anderson? i think it's still so stigmatized that dispit the fact that it's so disruptive, people do not seek treatment. while there is no cure, there can be effective treatments and people are often diagnosed very late because they try to mask it, get around it or become socially inward, they don't go out because they're afraid of exhibiting these symptoms. that part of it is i just think incredibly sad. so there's treatments available out there. >> again, i think for her to be so up front, it's going to help a lot of other people out there who don't -- who haven't talked about it as much or don't even know they have it. sanjay, thanks. >> thanks, anderson. up next, new details about just an unthinkable crime. a 10-year-old boy who escaped from his family's minivan after his mom drove it into the river. what he told the woman who found him. also, emotions running high, bp's annual shareholder meeting.
10:50 pm
and the chinese government gets tough on tv, but it's not reality shows but shows about time travel. [ male announcer ] did you know 7 out of 10 americans have nutritional gaps? even some who take vitamins. but with more key nutrients than one-a-day essential, centrum fills those nutritional gaps better. centrum. complete from a to zinc. aren't getting enough whole grain. but actually, it's never been easier to get the whole grain you want from your favorite big g cereals. from cheerios to lucky charms, there's whole grain in every box. make sure to look for the white check.
10:51 pm
10:52 pm
10:53 pm
[♪...] >> male announcer: book now, save up to 65%. call 1-800-sandals. a number of other stories. randi kaye has a "360" news and business bulletin. >> we learning more about the woman who killed herself and three of her children.
10:54 pm
listen to what her 10-year-old son, who survived that incident, told the woman who found him frantic by the side of a road. >> at the last minute when he was leaving to go out the window, he heard his mother saying, i made a terrible mistake, i made a mistake. so she came from the middle of the row too the driver's side ad tried to reverse the car back out, but at this time she was too much in the water at that point to even leave. so he said the best thing i could do, he said was to go for help. and he said no one was stopping for he. he said, thank you so much for stopping for me. he said it about 50 times, thank you for stopping, thank you for stopping. >> in long island new york, a helicopter was used in expanding investigation of a possible serial killing case, but no new evidence was uncovered. eight bodies have been found along a coastal stretch since december, and more skeletal remains were discovered earlier
10:55 pm
this week. demonstrators gathered outside bp's annual shareholder's meeting protesting the oil giant's role in last spring's deadly and catastrophic explosion and spill in the gulf of mexico. inside the meeting, share holders demanded to know what steps bp has taken to prevent another disaster. big changes ahead in daytime tv. abc is canceling its long-running soap operas, "all my children" this comes september "and one life to live" next january, replaced by one show about food, and a second show about health and lifestyles. say it isn't so, anderson. >> that's amazing. time for the "ridicu-list." another kind of tv change. tonight, we're adding china because of their new television guidelines. the government doesn't want any shows about time travel. this is coming from china's state administration of radio, film and television. here are the guidelines that have been released.
10:56 pm
apparently the government says tv dramas that have characters traveling through time and rewriting history go against chinese heritage. also frowned upon in the new guidelines, bizarre plots, absurd techniques, fantasy and mythical stories. as a former dujens and dragons nerd, this is disturbing on a deep level. what could i do be my level six orc powers? i think a lot of people would be shocked by the idea of no time travel. what about the team of bill and ted who once dared to poise the question, shall we embark on an adventure and shall it be excellent? and the answer, yes, yes, we shall and oh, how excellent it was. >> whoa!
10:57 pm
>> rock that. >> greetings, my excellent friends. >> do you know when the mongruls ruled china? >> if bill and ted don't do it for you, what about the "2001 space odyssey?" they capture the imaginization, they inspire us to ask questions about what it all means. just ask britney spears and kevin fedderline from when they had their reality show. >> is it possible to travel time and space? >> no. >> yes, it is. >> not that we know of. >> i think people can do that. >> you know what's really sad? i watched that entire show. i watched the entire series. to be fair, so -- it's true.
10:58 pm
i'm such a loser. i've been talking about movies here and these new chinese guidelines are focused on tv shows which have never done anything involving time travel. seriously, china, no "quantum leap?" when you think about it, what is television but a way to transport yourself to different eras, different hairstyles. >> yeah, i didn't hear that, but i'm just going to smile and nod like a local tv reporter would. >> everywhere you go in sarajevo, you're surrounded by snipers and you hear shots all the time, like that one. that was kind of close. >> my name is anderson cooper and i am in the fifth grade.
10:59 pm
>> yes, my hair was purple back then. so please, china, try to warm up to the idea that time travel can be a good thing on tv. do that, and we'll fire up delorean. serious stuff at the top of the hour, starting with the budget deal. st: uld switching to geico reallyavyou 15% or more on car insurance? host: is the pen mightier than the sword? ninja 2: ow vogeico. 15 minutes uld save you 15% or more on car insurance.
11:00 pm
11:01 pm
go to hotwire.com. when four-star hotels have unsold rooms they use hotwire hot rates to fill them, so you get ridiculously low prices, backed by our low price guarantee. ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e ♪ hotwire.com i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore.
11:02 pm
11:03 pm
good evening, everyone. sometime between now and tomorrow, president obama is expected to sign the bill congress passed today which will keep the government funded through this year. by signing it, he'll avert a government shutdown. when the deal was struck last friday, it was announced there would be $38 billion in spending cuts this year. $3 billion. keeping them honest, however, turns out the numbers don't add up. that realization has angered many in the tea party and republicans on capitol hill. we saw that today. but in the end, lawmakers had enough and passed the bill. >> i just want this bill over with. >> i'm with you. let's get it over. >> and they did. but with 1 in 3 freshman republicans voting no. the measure passing in the senate. according to the congressional budget office, a report the bill, which claims to cut $38.5 billion from the 2011 budget would only cut $350 million in actual spending this year, which is largely due to the way the budget process works. money that lawmakers authorized
11:04 pm
spending and what they ultimately spend are two different things. and they often happen months apart. allowing for that, this was a package both sides praised because they promise to contain real cuts and house speaker john boehner set the bar high. >> we're talking about real spending cuts here, no smoke and mirrors. >> some of the math is kind of fuzzy. here's what some of what we uncovered. $350 million is supposedly being saved on dairy farmers. but they get the savings by not renews a program that was expiring anyhow. so decides not to spend more money becomes saving more money. they claim $650 million of so-called savings on highway programs but they use the same trick by not renews a one-time only expenditure. $3.5 billion from the children's health insurance program. but the money likely wouldn't have been spent in any case. and even if you calculate how much will be saved over time, not just cut this year, still
11:05 pm
doesn't add up to $38.5 billion, more like $18 to $20 billion. joining me now, dana bash and david gergen, and fareed zakaria. he has an op-ed entitled "obama's deficit speech reveals his core bleefs." this report spooked a lot of republican members of the house, didn't it? >> reporter: spook i think is an understate, anderson. starting last night when reports began to leak out and this morning when it was out there, house republican leaders really tried to go into damage control mode because they were hearing from their rank and file about confusion and concern. look, this is already after the fact that they were hearing about some of this fuzzy math that you reported on. once they got the details, and on top of the fact as well, that many of these republicans didn't like the fact that the overall spending cuts were not higher than they were.
11:06 pm
so they held briefings. they had fact sheets going out. the speaker went to the floor of the house, which you rarely see, with charts and figures trying to explain from his perspective, these are real cuts. in the end, talking to several members of the rank and file on the republican side, they said this did spook them and perhaps push them over to edge to the no vote today. >> david gergen, what does this mean moving forward for speaker boehner? i mean, he lost a quarter of republicans on this. >> well, i think they lost the american people over this whole deal any way. there was a pew survey last week. 2/3 of the american people thought the whole process was ridiculous. that number is going to go up as a result of this fuzzy math. i do think it illustrated, as speaker boehner has a hard time holding his caucus together, it underscores that. it shows he lost approximately a quarter of his caucus, a third of the freshman as you said on this vote, which means he does not have that kind of power behind him. but there is a double edge sword
11:07 pm
in this sense, as a negotiator, he can play good cop/bad cop. he can play the good cop in the negotiations and then he can always say, if you don't work with me on this, i got those bad cops back there in the closet and they're going to come out here with clubs and they're going to destroy this deal. it gives them a little more leverage and gives him something extra. it's always good in a negotiation to have -- if there's a crazy element in your party, it can help. >> fareed, tomorrow is the vote on the paul ryan budget. you say it's a test for president obama and his budget. >> i think president obama has passed the test, which was the danger was what the democrats would do is take a serious republican proposal and demagogue it entirely and talk about how it was going to be terrible for the country and dismantle everything. and obama, in his speech, was tough on the ryan budget, but he began by saying look, this is a serious plan. it addresses issues that we have to address. i agree with the goals. but here's how i would achieve
11:08 pm
them. and by the way, i'm open to negotiation. that kind of framing it in those terms meant that what obama was able to do, he was able to make a powerful, passionate defense of his view of american government, his view of america and his view of the budget but say look, it's a democracy and he said i'm not going to get my way, you're not going to get your way, let's negotiate. >> david, we've been talking about president obama and his leadership style and all this. paul ryan comes out with his budget, putting a flagpole on the right of where they stand. you had the -- president obama's bipartisan commission, which put out their plan earlier, which was sort of a middle ground. and yesterday president obama kind of planting a stake somewhat left of center, are now all sides here, are all the positions known and now the deal making goes forward? >> no, i don't think so at all. i do agree that he planted a flag firmly on the left of center position. i think he stated his values very well. i think as a political matter,
11:09 pm
he played it masterfully in terms of setting up the 2012 campaign. but as a negotiating document, as a basis for reaching a compromise, i respectfully disagree with fareed. we've had a variety of reports, dana can speak to this, how angry the republicans were about finding it as partisan as they did. paul ryan was invited to sit on the front row and he felt insulted to a degree by what was put out there. so i think it's going to get very tough now, anderson, and the fact that congress is going home for two weeks in the face of this looming deadline on the budget -- on the debt ceiling, is just bizarre to me. they ought to be working night and day to make sure we don't go over the debt limit. >> republicans are upset over this, partly one has to say because they think it was a very effective political response. that the president who framed the issue in a way that makes it difficult for them to deal with.
11:10 pm
polls show consistently that americans love medicare and they think the best way to reduce the deficit is raise taxes on the rich. whatever you may think of those issues from a public policy point of view, clearly obama framing the issue in those ways helps him. but i only disagree with david in the sense that obama did keep saying look, this is how i feel. i respect you guys, you have a different view. let's sit down and negotiate. he invoked many of the paul ryan ideas. for example, getting rid of tax deductions and loopholes, making the tax rates more competitive. so if people are serious, there's room to work here. if we want to turn this into a theological debate, you can. but it's all about money. you can split the difference anywhere on money. >> dana, how nasty is this debate now going to get? we thought it was bad last week, what happens now? >> reporter: what happens now is a vote tomorrow on the paul ryan budget in the house and the split that we saw today in the
11:11 pm
republican party and the house, we're not going to see that i don't think as much tomorrow. we're not going to see the bipartisan vote we saw today tomorrow. keep in mind that today, 81 democrats voted for this compromise on last year's spending. we're not going to see anything near that tomorrow. the bottom line is that as much as this is going to be a republican vote tomorrow, i can already tell you that democrats, who are running against republicans, they already have the scripts written for any of these republicans who are in tough districts, and many are in tough districts because they beat democrats across the country who had been there for a long time. scripts against them saying you voted against them to dismantle medicare. and the democrats who are running campaigns are chomping at the bit for this vote tomorrow. that just leads to this discussion. i know there are a lot of important discussions going on about how you get to a middle ground, but you cannot take politics out of the equation, because politics is what this is all about. unfortunately.
11:12 pm
>> david, does having that political argument really solve the nation's deficit problem, the budget problem? does demagoguing them on medicare, it works politically perhaps, but does it work for getting stuff done? >> it doesn't -- i think because the politics of the 2012 were so ever present in all this, i think the chances have gone high now that we will not get entitlement reform and we won't get a serious reform of taxes until after the 2012 election. to me the question is, are we going to find ways to extend the debt ceiling and get a budget for 2012? are there more modest compromises that can be made, the kind fareed is talking about? can you find some middle ground? there's such a wide gulf on taxes and medicare, anderson, i don't see that being resolved before the 2012 election. >> do you agree with that? >> i wonder. i agree with what david is saying in principle, except for this.
11:13 pm
on taxes, if the republican party continues to take an absolutely theological position that you simply cannot have any tax increases, and if we mean no elimination of loopholes and no elimination of deductions, then we're in -- i mean, the math doesn't work. we're taking in 18% of gdp at taxation and spending 23%. you've got to close that gap. doing it all through budget cuts is impossible. you would be talking about shredding many of these departments. >> dana? >> there is a small group, fareed, small, of republicans who aren't saying absolutely no tax increases. they are saying maybe getting rid of some of those loopholes are possible. those are the republicans working quietly, and have been for months, with other democratic senators trying to come up with a middle ground. unclear if they're going to make process to come up with a bipartisan plan, but that so-called gang of six is what we're watching closely. >> dana, david, fareed, thank you very much. let us know what you think on
11:14 pm
facebook and twitter. up next, new allegations today that the head of wall street's richest investment bank ran his firm like a crooked casino. it's a stunning new senate report. we'll late it out for you. over the break, trying to guess how many top wall street executives have gone to jail since the collapse. also tonight, moammar gadhafi making a new appearance in tripoli, kind of a bizarre one. fist pumping, strange appearance, causing a big stir. we'll show you more of the bizarre video and what president obama, the french president and also british prime minister are saying now about libya. plus, catherine zeta jones, her mission, she's being treated for bipolar disorder and raising awareness. we'll talk to dr. sanjay gupta about what bipolar disorder really means. >> i think it's still so stigmatized that despite the fact it's so disruptive, people do not seek treatment, which is incredibly sad. if you don't have an iphone,
11:15 pm
you don't have the largest selection of games on any phone. from your favorite classics, to the latest and greatest. and you don't have game center. where you can find your friends wherever they are. challenge them to a game and play, head to head. to head. yup. if you don't have an iphone, well, you don't have an iphone. oh, bayer aspirin? i'm not having a heart attack. it's my back. it works great for pain. [ male announcer ] nothing's proven to relieve pain better than extra strength bayer aspirin. it rushes relief to the site of pain. feel better? yeah. thanks for the tip.
11:16 pm
it rushes relief to the site of pain. [ indistinct conversations ]
11:17 pm
[ hissing ] agents, what did we learn here today? that lint balls are extremely flammable! well, yeah. and that 15,000 dryer fires happen every year! that's why it's important to regularly clean and inspect your vents! correct. where did you get that?! i built it. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪ home to the lateste depadeal making technology. our highly advanced thingamajigs and whatchamacallits are constantly gathering intelligence on the best deals for you. with name your own price, they're yours for up to 60% off. but we're always looking to improve. for instance, what does this have to do with finding hotel deals? we're not sure. yet.
11:18 pm
2 1/2 years since wall street brought the economy to death's door and guess how many wall street executives have gone to jail? any guesses? the answer is none. none have even been charged with a crime. yet some of what these banks did helped wreck the global economy, caused millions of people their homes and millions more their jobs. now a leading u.s. senator is taking aim at this guy, ceo of goldman sachs, who said he was "doing god's work." michigan democrat carl levin said he and other executives who testified before his senate subcommittee lied and should be referred to the justice department for possible criminal prosecution. the allegations are contained in the 639-page report on the larger crisis in goldman's role in it. according to the report, investigators found evidence that goldman's sales people were peddling securities to clients based on shaky mortgages, mortgages they knew were shaky. at the same time traders were betting the firm's own money
11:19 pm
that those securities would blow up, basically a scam. last april, senator levin asked the mortgage head about one called timber wolf. that goldman insiders were e-mailing about. take a look. >> june 22 is the date of this e-mail. "boy, that timber wolf was one [ bleep ] deal." how much of that [ bleep ] deal did you sell to your clients after june 22, 2007? >> mr. chairman, i don't know the answer to that, but the price would have reflected levels that they wanted to invest -- >> oh, of course. but you didn't tell them you thought it was a [ bleep ] deal. >> i didn't say that. >> no? who did? your people, internally. you knew it was a [ bleep ] deal. that's what your e-mail shows. >> i think the context, the message i took from the e-mail from mr. montag was that my performance on that deal wasn't good, and i think the fact that we had lost money related to that wasn't good. >> how about the fact that you
11:20 pm
sold hundreds of millions of that deal after your people knew it was a [ bleep ] deal, does that bother you at all? >> now goldman maintains it gave truthful testimony and it was not betting against clients. "we did not have a massive net short position because our short positions were largely offset by our long positions and our financial results clearly demonstrate this point. senate investigators don't dispute that goldman took certain losses, but say that the people selling the crappy investments were in contact with the traders betting on their crappieness, betting and winning, while most americans were losing. profits in 2008 were $2.3 billion. $13 billion a year later. and since 2007, lloyd blankfein has pulled in close to $100 million in salary and bonuses. goldman say they have nothing wrong. joining me now, eliot spitzer, who prosecuted wall street tycoons when he was new york
11:21 pm
state's attorney general, and matt taibbi, who has written about the financial scandal. do you believe they broke the law and lied? >> yes, i do. people are going to say how can you say that? i've read this report and it confirms our worst fears. goldman sachs has zero credibility. they have scammed the american public. they made a high level decision in 2006 that this entire market was going to collapse. they bet against it. >> they saw the market was going to collapse. >> that's right. two critical things. one, they then bet against it. meanwhile, telling their clients keep buying it. and even worse, after years of having the financial services sector say trust us, they did not pick up the phone, did not go to a regulator and say this is out of control, we better stop. they said we can make money and pounded forward. it is an outrage and i think the american public should say enough. they've learned nothing. >> is there a smoking gun in
11:22 pm
this? is there clear evidence of a crime? >> i think so. i think the only reason that this is even controversial, that we're even asking the question should they be in jail is because this is a financial services industry and this stuff is complicated. if this was any other industry, if this was a car dealership, for instance, basically what happened was imagine you're a ford dealership and you get a whole inventory full of broncos that have defective brakes and you decide not only to sell them, but to give bonuses to your sales people to sell these defective products and then you take out life insurance policies on the drivers of the cars that you sold. that's exactly what happened here in a nutshell. they had defective merchandise. they had these terrible mortgaged backed deals they knew they were going to blow up and they unloaded it on their clients while they bet against them. >> anderson, there are documents that came from the company that did due diligence on the underlying mortgages, that the banks had -- many of the banks
11:23 pm
had this that said these mortgages are no good. they will not satisfy even your own standards for issuing mortgages. these are the mortgages they wrapped up into the securities, sold them off saying buy this stuff and bet against it. >> weren't all these mortgages being looked at by the people regulating these industries and the folks who were supposedly giving bond ratings and they got good ratings? >> to say that there was negligence and abuses throughout the system is in no way to -- ex-pull tate what goldman did. >> can't they point to that and say -- >> no, because they gave the information and all were culpable, and they all blew it in the most fundamental way. when i was a.g. in 2002 and 2003, i went after these companies for lying about the quality of their stocks. they said, we get it, we learned. bunk! they did it year after year because they saw a penny they could pick up. >> 2 1/2 years after this, no
11:24 pm
one has gone to jail or no one has each been prosecuted. >> they've sure gone after barry bonds and roger clemens. >> those are easy pickings. >> the entire history of this whole era clearly demonstrates that the justice department has any appetite taking any of these cases against wall street executives. even when they have very good evidence and very strong cases. >> the failure of regulators is extraordinary. you documented this in "rolling stone." >> sure. absolutely. the regulators were asleep at the wheel and in some cases they were tremendously understaffed and didn't have the resources or the wherewithal to take on these jobs. aig was the regulator of thrift supervision, and they had one insurance expert on their entire staff. >> i'll tell you an interesting story. we went after aig. got them to get the biggest settlement in history. their accounting was a scam, top to bottom. i was called and told back off
11:25 pm
by the u.s. attorney in the southern district, we'll take care of it. they never did. tim geithner apparently reported in today's "new york times" calling people and he was saying don't bring cases, it will unsettle the markets, and they let them go. mean while, he signed off on $12.9 billion to goldman to cover a bad bet they made. >> to actually bring a criminal case, don't you have to prove intent? >> absolutely. >> can you prove intent on goldman sacks? intent to defraud? >> it gets harder to prove this, this is where the complexity and structure of an organization creates insulation as you move up the hierarchy, because proving the intent to deceive is a problem. but the civil charges are screaming out to be brought based on the documents out there. and the fact it hasn't been done yet is staggering. >> do you think politicians are scared of going against goldman sacks? >> absolutely. goldman zaches was the number
11:26 pm
one private campaign contributor to barack obama's election campaign. it's one of the single biggest campaign contributors to both parties in congress. so it's a rare event when, you know, an established politician like carl levin decides to open up shooting war against a company like this. the consequences for these politicians are so severe, and that's one of the reasons they've lasted so long. >> anderson, before i went after merrill lynch, i was told by their lawyer, this is a direct quote, be careful, we have powerful friends. >> do you think the justice department will prosecute? >> if they don't, shame on them. if they don't, the attorney general should resign. >> really? >> yes. it is so outrageous to me, the deeper we dig and the more fundamental the violations we see that these banks hiding behind the patina, that they would take care of the public, and regulating the stock market, time and time scammed and deceived and our tax dollars are paying those grotesque bonuses. >> i remember there was an
11:27 pm
article you wrote, matt, and it was somebody saying that basically if one of these guys was sent to prison, that would stop the shenanigans from happening again, if somebody was held accountable, it would have a cooling effect. >> absolutely. i talked to a guy that was a former fcc investigator and he said if you start sending lloyd blankfein or one of those guys put one of those guys in a real maximum security prison for six months, this whole thing would be over very quickly. the whole situation would be cleared up. but the problem is, there's no incentive for these guys to change their behaviors. not only do they got get punished, they get a bailout. >> is the regulation better now, is the oversight better? >> look, dodd-frank made some improvements, but all you need is common law fraud on the books
11:28 pm
or a prosecutor who wants to go after wall street banks for lying will do it. that hasn't happened yet. >> matt taibbi, appreciate it. and eliot spitzer, thanks. up next, three world leaders, including president obama, pointing their pens at moammar gadhafi. it's an interesting development and it's kind of a new development in libya. we'll tell you about it ahead.
11:29 pm
[ male announcer ] in the event of a collision, the smartest thing you could do is cut the fuel supply... ♪ ...unlock the doors, and turn on the hazard lights. or better yet, get a car that automatically does it for you. ♪ ♪ ♪ osteoporosis treatment-- no big deal. so i have to wait up to an hour just to eat or drink. i've got time to kill. yeah right! i'm a working woman. and i'm busy. why should osteoporosis therapy disrupt my morning routine? with new atelvia there's no wait. unlike other osteoporosis medicines... atelvia has a delayed- release formulation... so you can take it right after breakfast and help protect your bones. do not take atelvia if you have esophagus problems, low blood calcium, severe kidney disease,
11:30 pm
or cannot sit or stand for 30 minutes. follow all dosing instructions. stop taking atelvia and tell your doctor if you experience difficult or painful swallowing, chest pain or severe or continuing heartburn, which may be signs of serious upper digestive problems. tell your doctor if you develop dental or jaw problems, as serious jawbone problems have been reported rarely. also tell your doctor if you develop severe bone, joint, or muscle pain... or any hip, groin, or thigh pain... as unusual thigh bone fractures have been reported rarely. with atelvia, the mornings are all mine.. talk to your doctor about new atelvia.
11:31 pm
goldman sa breaking news tonight on libya. an extraordinary gesture, president obama has joined with the british prime minister and french president in writing a
11:32 pm
joint op-ed piece that will appear tomorrow in major international newspapers under the headline "libya's pathway to peace. " they're writing they're looking to a future without moammar gadhafi. that it's unthinkable that someone who has tried to massacre his own people can play a part in the government. they write "as long as gadhafi is in power, nato must maintain its operations so that civilians remain protected and the pressure on the regime builds. in order for that transition to succeed, gadhafi must go and go for good." and libyan state tv aired this video of gadhafi standing in the sunroof of an suv, greeting a crowd of supporters in tripoli. forces loyal to gadhafi launched another assault on misurata. according to a local doctor, at least 23 people were killed. more than 100 injured. we can't independently confirm that, however. tonight, libyan state tv aired video of gadhafi's daughter
11:33 pm
speaking to a rally of supporters praising her father's importance to libya. >> translator: gadhafi isn't in libya. he is in the hearts of the libyans. my father once said that if the libyan nation doesn't want me, then i don't deserve to live. the libyans answered him in a united voice. those who don't want you, don't deserve to live." >> ben wedeman joins us from benghazi and bill richardson, former governor of new mexico and former u.s. ambassador to the united nations. and back with us is fareed zakaria. governor richardson, if the crux of this op-ed by the allied leaders, it seems that the crux of it is that gadhafi must go, then why not just recalibrate the mission or are they trying to recalibrate the mission? the mission is supposed to be to protect civilians. in this op-ed, they're saying
11:34 pm
you can't protect civilians if gadhafi remains in power. >> i do believe it's a little bit of a policy shift in the right direction. it's basically saying number one, gadhafi must go. number two is a signal that nato is going to intensify its military strikes or its military participation. i think it's also -- it's kind of a rejection of the african presidents who had just been in there, calling for a cease-fire, but had left fuzzy whether gadhafi would stay or go. so i think it's a stepping up. it's basically saying it's not regime change, but there can't be a future, there can't be a libyan government with gadhafi still around. so it's i think intensifying the military commitment of nato. these three leaders have put a lot of prestige on the line by doing this op-ed. >> it also opens it up to a much longer involvement.
11:35 pm
previously, those argued if gadhafi withdraws his forces from some of these cities that he's besieging like misurata, he can stay in power. this is saying he can't be in power, civilians cannot be protected if he's in power. >> that's exactly right, anderson. you highlighted the crucial sentence, as long as gadhafi is in power, nato must maintain its operations. i read it slightly differently than bill does, which is i don't know that it's a signal they're going to intensify the military operations. i think what they're trying to do here is to say look, we have a u.n. mandate for a limited military operation. we're not going to do more than that. they say that. the military operation purpose is not to remove gadhafi by force. but we have as much political pressure as we can bring to bear. we're going to bring to bear to force him out of office. we've got sanctions in place, we're not going to let him sell his oil. so it's an effort to see if there's a way to escalate the political pressure.
11:36 pm
i think they do understand if they were to go beyond -- if they escalated militarily, they would lose a lot of countries that would say, wait a minute. the u.n. man tate only allows you to protect civilians. so they're playing this game and saying how much non-military presence can we bring to bear? and this op-ed in a sense is non-military pressure. >> ben wedeman, you've been noticing some new equipment and new weaponry that the opposition has. >> reporter: yes, we've seen milan anti-tank weapons, which are made in france but by all -- it appears they're supplied by qatar. we've seen radio equipment and new military boots worn by some of the rebels outside of ajdabiya. but what we haven't seen really is the ability to actually push forward. we saw them trying to launch an offensive to retake brega today. but they got about 15 yards before the whole thing fell apart into sort of wild gunfire and rocket fire in almost every
11:37 pm
direction. so new equipment, yes. new leadership, no. >> wait a minute, you said they tried to launch an offensive and got 15 yards? >> reporter: that's about right. it's not all together clear why, but they just left the area of brega and literally about 15 yards, somebody opened fire with a machine gun, heavy machine gun. then we saw rockets being fired in almost every direction. and soon i was told by one of their commanders that they had to postpone the mission, also because there was an eastern libyan army contingent that arrived too late. so they just called the whole thing off. we'll be back tomorrow to see if they resume it. >> bep, continue to stay safe. governor richardson, fareed, as well. coming up, "crime and punishment." clues in the suspected serial killings. police and the fbi scouring 18
11:38 pm
different spots. at least eight bodies found so far. catherine zeta jones checking into a mental health facility for bipolar two disorder, being very public about it, trying to break some of the stigma behind mental illness in this country. i'll talk to "360" m.d. dr. sanjay gupta about bipolar disorder and how it manifests in people's lives. >> true bipolar disease is incredibly disruptive to the individual and to the people around them. like our new lobster-and-shrimp trio with a parmesan lobster bake, our decadent lobster lover's dream and eleven more choices. ending soon at red lobster. it's got a calculator. thanks, dad. this is the neighborhood. you get elm street and you get main street. thank you. and that's just the first quarter. so you want a slide in your office ? or monkey bars, either one. more small businesses choose verizon wireless
11:39 pm
than any other wireless carrier. where's susie ? is she expecting you ? because they know the small business with the best technology rules. fiona, am i crazy or is well, mike... a lot of tires? don't answer, just tell me what the occasion is. big tire and brake sales event. you say you can beat any advertised price on tires. correct. anywhere. yes. like this price? yes. seriously? yes. what about this one? i'll beat it. this one? yes, i will. alright, i have only one more question for you. is one? yes. buy 4 tires, get a $100 rebate. and that's on top of our low price tire guarantee. 3 million tires, 11 major brands, fiona's kind of nice, i don't know why you're not here. but i've learned a lot from patients who use flexpen. flexpen comes pre-filled with the insulin i take and i can dial the exact dose of insulin i need. i live my life on the go and need an on-the-go insulin. i don't need to carry a cooler with flexpen. novolog is a fast-acting, man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar
11:40 pm
in adults and children with diabetes. do not inject novolog if you do not plan to eat within 5 to 10 minutes after injection to avoid low blood sugar. tell your healthcare provider about all medicines you take and all of your medical conditions, including if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. the most common side effect of novolog is low blood sugar. other possible side effects include reactions at the injection site. get medical help right away if you experience serious allergic reactions, body rash, trouble with breathing, fast heartbeat or sweating. ask your healthcare provider about novolog flexpen today. learn more about the different insulins available in flexpen at myflexpen.com. flexpen, insulin delivery that goes with you.
11:41 pm
11:42 pm
a lot of concern and questions tonight about the news that catherine zeta jones checked into a mental health facility. her rep tells cnn she's seeking treatment for bipolar two disorder, which is a less severe form of bipolar disorder. the rep said she decided to check into a facility after dealing with the stress of the last year. her husband, michael douglas, obviously dealing with throat cancer. we wanted to get more information about what exactly bipolar two disorder is and how it can be triggered by traumatic events. for that we went to dr. sanjay gupta. there's still such stigma over mental health issues in this country. for someone as well known as catherine zeta jones to be very frank is remarkable. what exactly is bipolar disorder? >> people refer to it as manic depression. it is a disorder characterized by what is known as mania. manic episodes, and also depressive episodes. manic episodes, people are at the highest of highs and depressed episodes, the lowest
11:43 pm
of lows. but so much so, anderson, that it interferes with your ability to conduct your normal life. these episodes can last over a week at least. and it can be so disruptive not only to the individual but to all the people around them. that's typically what bipolar is characterized by. what is interesting is that we have more insight specifically into what's happening in the brain now, as well. let me show you what is a functional mri of a normal brain. up near the top, that's the area of the brain responsible for judgment, for your ability to filter things, to filter something, to think before you do, to think before you act. that's a normal brain. take a look at what a bipolar diagnosed brain, something or someone during a manic episode. you see hardly any activity. think about that, no activity in the frontal lobes means hardly any filter. you think of something, you say it. you think of something, you immediately do it.
11:44 pm
you have nothing putting on the brakes. i just find that extremely fascinating, some objective evidence of what specifically is happening in the brain during one of these episodes. >> and she has bipolar disorder two, how is that different from what you just explained? >> there's a few different types of bipolar, and these are all characterized now, anderson, by what's known as a clinical diagnosis. sitting down with a doctor, being asked questions. and coming one a diagnosis. basically, the big difference is instead of having true manic episodes they have hypomanic episodes. they still develop mania, which can be lots of activity, fast talking, little sleep. but not quite to the degree of someone who is in a full manic episode. they can have the severe depression. sometimes the depression is even worse than in someone who has classic bipolar or bipolar one. >> and obviously, she has endured a lot of stress over the past year with michael douglas, her husband battling cancer. does stress trigger bipolar disorder?
11:45 pm
>> i think it can, absolutely. i think trigger is the right word as opposed to cause. i think there's mounting evidence that people probably have a predisposition, some sort of genetic predisposition toward it. we know that children, for example, if they have a parent with bipolar, four to six times more likely to develop it. so some genetic component. they haven't identified the genes. the trigger, that's always been the -- something people have been looking for, and stress is a big one. >> and in terms of -- i think she's checked herself into a facility. for a lot of people, this is something that they live with on a day-to-day basis. it doesn't consume their lives to the point where they can't do anything. >> i think true bipolar disease, this classic bipolar is incredibly disruptive to the individual and to the people around them. i think you know what it is, anderson? i think it's still so stigmatized that despite the fact that it's so disruptive,
11:46 pm
people do not seek treatment. which is incredibly sad. while there is no cure, there can be effective treatments and people are often diagnosed very late, if they're diagnosed at all with this disease, because they try to mask it, get around it or become socially inward. they don't go out because they're afraid of exhibiting these symptoms. that part of it is i just think incredibly sad. so there's treatments available out there. >> again, i think for her to be so up front, it's going to help a lot of other people out there who don't -- who haven't talked about it as much or don't even know they have it. sanjay, thanks. >> thanks, anderson. up next, new details about just an unthinkable crime. a 10-year-old boy who escaped from his family's minivan after his mom drove it into the river. she shares her last words and he talking about his brothers and sisters who didn't make it. what he told the woman who found him. also, emotions running high, bp's annual shareholder meeting. [ robin ] my name is robin.
11:47 pm
and i was a pack-a-day smoker for 25 years. i do remember sitting down with my boys, and i'm like, "oh, promise mommy you'll never ever pick up a cigarette." i had to quit. ♪ my doctor gave me a prescription for chantix, a medication i could take and still smoke, while it built up in my system. [ male announcer ] chantix is a non-nicotine pill proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke.
11:48 pm
some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these symptoms or behaviors, stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop serious allergic or skin reactions, stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some of these can be life-threatening. dosing may be different if you have kidney problems. until you know how chantix affects you, use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. ♪ my benjamin, he helped me with the countdown. "5 days, mom. 10 days, mom." i think after 30 days he got tired of counting! [ male announcer ] talk to your doctor to find out if chantix is right for you. learn about the chantix challenge. chantix may not work for everyone. if you aren't quit after 12 weeks, we'll refund your cost of trying it.
11:49 pm
learn more at chantix.com.
11:50 pm
>> female announcer: sandals luxury included resorts now include a once-in-a-lifetime offer: book now, save up to 65%. call 1-800-sandals. following a number of other stories. let's get an update. randi kaye has a "360" news and business bulletin. randi? >> we're learning more about the young new york mother who appears to have intentionally driven her car into the hudson river killing herself and three of her children. listen to what her 10-year-old son, who survived that incident, told the woman who found him frantic by the side of a road. >> at the last minute when he was leaving to go out the window, he heard his mother saying, i made a terrible
11:51 pm
mistake, i made a mistake. so she came from the middle of the row to the driver's side and tried to reverse the car back out, but at this time she was too much in the water at that point to even leave. so he said the best thing i could do, he said was to go for help. and he said no one was stopping for he. no one was stopping for me. he said, thank you so much for stopping for me. he said it about 50 times, thank you for stopping, thank you for stopping. in long island, new york, a helicopter was used in expanding investigation of a possible serial killing case, but no new evidence was uncovered. eight bodies have been found along a coastal stretch since december, and more skeletal remains were discovered earlier this week. demonstrators gathered outside bp's annual shareholder's meeting protesting the oil giant's role in last spring's deadly and catastrophic explosion and spill in the gulf of mexico.
11:52 pm
inside the meeting, share holders demanded to know what steps bp has taken to prevent another disaster. big changes ahead in daytime tv. abc is canceling its long-running soap operas, "all my children" this comes september "and one life to live" next january, replaced by one show about food, and a second show about health and lifestyles. say it isn't so, anderson. >> i know, wow. that's amazing. up next, tackling illiteracy. meet a man who didn't learn to read and white until the age of 35 and wait till you see where he is now. [ jelani ] neither of my parents went to college.
11:53 pm
something that was drilled in me early on, you know, college is the place for you. it's my number one goal. ♪ students like me, who take these ap math and science classes and have these opportunities, this is where the american dream lies. when i write that book, you know, i plan to dedicate it to my school. ♪ those hopes and dreams that you have, you know, they're within reach. and i'm living proof.
11:54 pm
you know, they're within reach. i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore.
11:55 pm
>> it brings your best minds and their brightest ideas together. it helps the largest of companies seize opportunity like the smallest of startups. it's the network-- the intelligent, secure cisco network that lets your employees, partners, suppliers and customers innovate and share so you can unleash the power of your most valuable asset: your people.
11:56 pm
30 million adults in the united states lack the basic reading and writing skills to read a newspaper. steve perry sat down with a man forced to face his illiteracy head on and now works in an unlikely place, a library. here's tonight's "perry's principles." >> david's mom always said, no, david. >> reporter: john is known as mr. z. his mission -- to get kids excited about reading.
11:57 pm
>> i'm having probably more fun than all of you, and there's a special reason for that. mr. z. didn't learn to read and write until i was 35 years old. yeah. >> how did you get out of high school not knowing how to read? >> i will say, i was a master at deception. figuring out what i needed to do to survive. >> you walked across a stage and got a diploma. >> yeah. obviously that still hurts, because i know the lie that it was. >> as a young boy, he was diagnosed with dyslexia and adhd. >> it's important to note that i'm not trying to jab at the education system. today, we're so much better equipped at dealing with the learning disabilities that i have. >> he managed to keep his illiteracy a secret from everyone. >> including my wife.
11:58 pm
she didn't even have any idea until our son busted me. that was really one of the turning points of sitting with my -- both my boys shawn and adam on either side of me, reading simple children's books. and what would happen is, my son, shawn, would fix the words that i got wrong and say no, dad, that's not what it says. >> there was something so pen demonstrating about that, that it rocked it to your core. what was that? >> i'm not the father that i want to be. >> then he had back surgery, which made returning to his restoration job impossible. >> at that same time, my wife saw in an article in the newspaper for the literacy program here at the library. i called them. they said, come in. it wasn't easy. >> not only did he learn to read and write, he's now the outreach coordinator for the library. this had to be the scariest place on earth for you. what were you thinking?
11:59 pm
>> because i was in the literacy program working on my skills, i found a new me. >> so when mr. z. reads, does it make it feel like he cares for you? >> yes, he wants us to read. >> you are to these kits a super hero. >> i know there's a child out there going through the exact same thing that i went through, that says you know, wow, if mr. z. can do it, maybe i shouldn't give up. >> it's a moving story. i know four granddad couldn't read. what can adults do if they're in that situation? >> they have to be honest with themselves. they have to be honest with themselves and know that it's not something that they did to themselves. they can go to the local library, strange as it is, the place you would be afraid of, many of the programs that people have are in their local library.

67 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on